What to Do When You Feel Overwhelmed
Overwhelmed. If one word could describe how you feel, that would be it.
Your strength is depleted, and your heart is weary. Your energy “left the building” a long time ago, and you’ve found yourself in a hole you can’t seem to get out of.
Does this describe you? Let’s look at three ways you can take an overwhelmed heart and fill it with overwhelming peace, joy, and hope. These things may not be easy to accomplish, but with God’s help, I believe that you can do these things, and so much more!
- The first thing that I’m not numbering because it is the MOST important thing, is: Spend time with God. When you spend time talking and just being with your creator, you are going to feel less stressed and overwhelmed. I need to work on this myself- I want to be close to God, but I’m not doing everything I should do to be close to him. Just remember that this is imperative to work through stress.
- Create a plan and stick to it
Okay, so for some people, planning comes naturally, but for me, and I’m sure a few of you reading this right now, I have the hardest time creating and sticking to a plan. You can make all kinds of different plans, but I have one specific plan for you to create.
This particular plan is for the overwhelming feelings that you’re feeling. Write down you’re feelings and then make a plan for how you can feel less overwhelmed about blank feeling.
For example: “Today, I am feeling sad because I didn’t get the job I applied for.” Feeling sad can be overwhelming when you don’t have a plan in place for conquering that sadness. The plan: “I will keep applying for jobs, I will write down daily affirmations, and I will pray and give my job search up to the Lord this week (Giving the plan a timeframe will make the plan more manageable) “.
2. Take time for yourself
When you are feeling overwhelmed, it’s easy to try to “keep on keeping on” without giving yourself a break. This leads to feeling more overwhelmed and weary. I suggest that you take some time to relax and rejuvenate every day. I even schedule time for myself twice a day, once in the morning and again in the evening.
Some suggestions for this time:
- Diffuse essential oils- I suggest diffusing some lavender essential oil- Here’s a link to the company I got lavender from: Lavender essential oil by Aura Cacia (*affiliate link*)
- Read an inspirational article or devotion. I just received Experiencing God Day-By-Day Devotional and Journal (*affiliate link*), and look forward to reading and writing in it.
- Listen to inspirational Christian music. Some of my favorite artists include: Kari Jobe, Francesca Battistelli, Amy Grant, and Natalie Grant.
There are so many other things you can do to relax and unwind, just find something you like to do and start doing it!
3. Simplify your Life
Simplifying your life can help rid you of some things that are unnecessary and overwhelming. How does one go about simplifying their life, you ask? Here’s a few things you can start doing today:
- Get rid of things you don’t need. If it isn’t valuable to you and you don’t use it, toss it.
- Spend your time doing things that matter to you, and that glorify God.
- Sometimes, you need to just unplug and BREATHE… This is probably the hardest thing for me to do. Now, I’m not saying to never use your phone or devices- I’m using my laptop right now as I write this post. It’s good to connect with others, and share your message of hope and love, but sometimes, when you notice that you are comparing yourself to others and there lives, or wasting your time on the internet, you need to just stop, put the phone down, and do something else. (I’m preaching to myself too.)
So, what are the results of doing these things?
You will find peace in your life. To find peace in the middle of chaos is not easy, but you are strong and so capable, and you serve a mighty God who has your back.
You will start living your life with a heart full of joy. It may not happen right away, but keep doing it and you will see a major difference.
There is so much to have hope in everyday, and when we do the few things I mentioned, we will gain clarity in many aspects of our life- especially how to be hopeful and what to be hopeful for.
I hope and pray that you will do these things to help you feel less overwhelmed. I believe in you and I know God does too!
*Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link I have posted and buy the product, I may receive a small commission.Social Media: